Was Seir a city?

The main place for discussion the Hebrew Bible, its language and message.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
Kenneth Greifer

Was Seir a city?

Postby Kenneth Greifer » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:16 pm

I read that Seir was a mountain range, a land, a people, and maybe a region of Edom. I am not sure about the last one. Was Seir a city? Would it be wrong to call it a city? If it was a city, was it the capital of Edom?
Kenneth Greifer

Isaac Fried

Re: Was Seir a city?

Postby Isaac Fried » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:17 pm

Does this come from seeing
שֶׂעִיר = זֶה-עִיר?

Isaac Fried, Boston University

kwrandolph

Postby kwrandolph » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:00 am

Kenneth Greifer wrote:I read that Seir was a mountain range, a land, a people, and maybe a region of Edom. I am not sure about the last one. Was Seir a city? Would it be wrong to call it a city? If it was a city, was it the capital of Edom?

Just look at its uses as a name:
• apparently the name of a person and his descendants Genesis 36:20–21
• name of the region where they settled Genesis 32:4
• the land included mountains Genesis 36:8–9, Deuteronomy 2:1, 5, Joshua 15:10, 24:4
• while the land of Seir was recognized to be part of Edom Genesis 32:4, yet it was recognized to be different from Edom 2 Chronicles 20

Nowhere that I found is Seir specifically mentioned to be a city. In fact, that it was a home of a people argues against that it was a city.

Karl W. Randolph.

Kenneth Greifer

Postby Kenneth Greifer » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:21 pm

Karl,

Isn't Zion a city, a mountain, and a people? Or what would you say Zion is?
Kenneth Greifer

kwrandolph

Postby kwrandolph » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:47 am

Kenneth Greifer wrote:Karl,

Isn't Zion a city, a mountain, and a people? Or what would you say Zion is?

Without making a complete analysis of every mention of Zion (over 100 mentions) in Tanakh, my seat-of-the-pants reaction is that Zion properly was just a portion of Jerusalem, namely a fortress. (David’s palace was built on another site.) Often, however, “Zion” was used also to refer to the whole city of Jerusalem by extension, as apparently it was where the government offices were established.

As to where was Zion originally situated? Was it originally in the city of Jerusalem itself? Or was it where the “temple mount” now stands? It was a militarily important high point that dominated the city and was above the city.

(As to where Solomon’s temple stood, it was not on the “temple mount”, rather it was built on a flat area. Anyone who studies ancient agriculture learns that threshing floors were flat areas where the work could be done, and the temple was built on a threshing floor.)

Yes, people lived there too.

There are differences between mentions of Zion and Seir—Zion was specifically mentioned to be a fortress, where people also lived, as part of greater Jerusalem; Seir was a mountain region, also called a land. Zion was specifically called a city; Seir never called a city. The two are not equivalent.

Karl W. Randolph.

Saboi

Postby Saboi » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:07 am

Genesis 27:11
Jacob "Smooth " שעיר
Esau "Hairy " חלק

Joshua 11:17
Mount Halak (חלק) that goeth up to Seir (שעיר )
and to Baal-Gad in the valley (בקעת ) of Lebanon under Mount Hermon

The word שעיר means Hairy, Fleece or garment and describes the mountain fleeced in snow
and it's seasonal, so it looses the garment during summer and melts into the rivers and streams

This is repeated throughout the Hebrew scriptures.

Isaiah 41:18, Psalms 68:8, Judges 5:4 ,Isaiah 55:10 ,Amos 9:13 , Nahum 1:5, Amos 9:5, Psalm 18:7
1 Kings 18:38. Exodus 4:9, Job 24:19, Psalms 68:14, 2 Kings 2:8 , Deuteronomy 11:4, Psalm 147:16
Ezekiel 38:22, Numbers 33:39, Exodus 10:19, Exodus 4:6, Numbers 21:14, Numbers 12:10 Job 6:15-6
Psalm 148:8. Job 38:29-30, Songs 4:1, 6:5, Psalm 89:12

Lee . Wales
Lee Mcgee

Return to “General Discussion”